Thursday, April 21, 2011

Books in the kitchen

One of my early favourites is actually not a cookbook but sits on the cookbook shelf, it's one of Peg Bracken's "The I Hate to Housekeep Book". My mom gave it to me years ago, I think she thought it would move me in the right direction, sadly it failed but it did interest me in cooking.

The recipes worked and one that I first tried was Little Chinese Meatballs:
1½ pounds of ground beef 1 tablespoon powedered ginger
½ cup soya sauce 1 crushed galic clove
¼ cup water

Mix together and roll into little balls, bake uncovered for an hour at 275 degrees.
So simple and when I served them up I decorated the platter with little orange Marigolds. Folks thought they were really getting something special.


Can also recommend Saratoga Torte and Add-A-Pound-Cake, in the margin I have written
Aug.5,1967 Fort Smith N.W.T. The recipes are simple, ingredients easy to obtain and results you can grin at.

Perhaps it is now time to try the housekeeping part...

No comments: